Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 2 - Jumpravmuiza to Incukalns 53km 10hs 15mins

Mill near Jumpravmuiza
My breakfast arrived by car at the hut at 6am. Delicious porridge and 6 succulent strawberries. (now in season in Latvia). I was on my way at 6:30am. There was a mist over the lake but the sun was up. Lija said she saw the sun rise this morning at about 3:15am before she went to sleep. 


Lots of walking through countryside but fortunately the township of Ledurga had 3 shops and food for lunch and water to take with me. I saw my first wildlife today. A fox in a field, a rabbit, a stoat or something similar and a small mole about 6 inches long, dead on the road. The moles create havoc by digging holes wherever anybody tries to plant lawn or grass.
Mole (not just playing dead)


Much hotter today. foolishly I had left out the sunscreen from my pack but at Incukalns there was a chemist and I bought both sunburn cream and sunscreen for tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain as I feel I am tempting fate. Raimonds has apparently told Anita that it won't rain for the wedding because he has information from a friend in the Army meterology section that it will be fine. 


Strops guest house, Incukalns (5:30am next morning)
Anita made the arrangements for my accommodation for tonight with Vizma. Unfortunately the people actually here knew nothing about the reservation although I seem to be the only guest. My host prefers to speak to me in English (he spent a year in London although he did not like the fact that there were so many immigrants there). He was doubtful whether the local kafejnica would have anything other than pork. However, he came with me to help me choose and found there was both fish and chicken on the menu. At his suggestion i also had a carrot salad. 


My breakfast tomorrow will be 2 hard boiled eggs because I want to leave as soon as I can after 5am. 


Muiza at Igate (before Ledurga)
There is about 40km tomorrow and I must get there in time to have a shower and shave before the wedding at 2pm. If I can make it tomorrow to Ogre, I will probably be able to finish the last day to the border, although it will be about 60km all up. 


Apparently Anna Zigure is arranging a newspaper interview when I reach Skaistkalne. I hope the reporter speaks English, although it may be the same reporter from Bauska that interviewed me at Anna's suggestion 4 years ago. 

1 comment:

  1. we read this post together whilst drinking our morning cup of tea and līnīte has calculated that if you are running on time, you should already be getting ready for the wedding. i hope you're not too tired to enjoy the celebrations!! i look forward to seeing lija's photos. līnīte is doing a dry run to work on her bike today and i'm going to meet her in hammersmith for lunch. i'll try and run part of the way - not looking forward to sitting on the tube in my running gear (obviously, running the entire 13km is not going to happen). keep the detailed posts coming. i have especially enjoyed your sunscreen/sunburn cream purchasing and your adventures with the open minded host who spent a year in london. much love, janite xx

    ReplyDelete