Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Preperations

Tonight, I will catch the bus to Ainazi which is on the Estonian border and the bay of Riga. Tomorrow, I will start a walk from Ainazi to Skaistkalne on the Lithuanian border. It is over 200km and I hope to complete the trip on foot in 4 days. On day 3, I must be in Ogre by 2pm in time to attend the wedding of Raimonds and Agnese. Raimonds and Agnese stayed with us during the Latvian cultural festival in Melbourne in December 2010.

I had hoped that Lija would travel with me on a bike but the problems of transporting the bike to Ainazi proved too difficult to solve satisfactorily. The buses do not take bikes unless they can be dismantled. We then planned another route from Eleja on the Lithuanian border to Jurmala on the bay of Riga, as we thought there was a railway connection at each end. Unfortunately, the train does not run to Eleja anymore so I am forced to travel on my own.

The project is ambitious and I may end up having to catch a lift in time to get to the wedding. I am hoping to do a combination of jogging and walking. In early April, Lija's cousin Mark and I completed 46km in 6hrs in a rogaine at Melton and on 19 May we completed the 100km North Face 100 event in the Blue Mountains in just under 20hrs. We both ran a half marathon in early June, in my case in 1:58 and Mark, with his brother Paul, much faster.

Training in the Blue Mountains with Mark on Christmas Day 2011

Last night, Anita and I had dinner with Juris and Selga Benkis. Juris has run my blog for my last 3 walks - www.walkacrosslatvia2008.blogspot.com, www.walkuplatvia2009.blogspot.com and www.westernbaltics2010.blogspot.com. If I can solve my  mobile phone problems, I will send reports and photos to either Lija or Juris to post on the blog.

The program is as follows:
Thursday 28 June - Ainazi to Jumpravmuiza (perhaps then traveling with  Janis Apsitis to Straupe to meet his and Matiss's sheep)
Friday 29 June - Jumpravmuiza to Incukalns
Saturday 30 June - Incukalns to Ogre (and the wedding)
Sunday 1 July - Ogre to Skaistkalne (catching the 7:10pm bus back to Riga).

1 comment: